Normandy - my first time.

The 65th is my first time that I will be attending the Normandy commemorations.

It is something that I have dreamed off for many many years. I am way behind everyone else here who may of seen the most 'special' of commemorations but I am just pleased to be able to be part of it. I will be staying with my dear friend Joris and his group and what a way to spend my first time there.

We are staying above Omaha and is going to be a strange time without a doubt. I most certainly plan to be up by 05:00 to see the sun rise and I intend to stay awake all night - to allow my mind to dream and wonder.

This is a spiritual journey for me more than anything.

Can't wait.

Jack.

it is my first time for the anniversary in june as well although I have been to Normandy several times later in the year and we shall be staying at Etreham which is close to Omaha and Gold beach so we may bump into with luck,we should be fairly easy to spot as will be with a group of over 100 allied wartime bikes

Nigel

Jimi Hendrix once said:

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

I will be thinking about this very quote on June the 5th and 6th.......

It is something that I have dreamed off for many many years. I am way behind everyone else here who may of seen the most 'special' of commemorations but I am just pleased to be able to be part of it. I will be staying with my dear friend Joris and his group and what a way to spend my first time there.

We are staying above Omaha and is going to be a strange time without a doubt. I most certainly plan to be up by 05:00 to see the sun rise and I intend to stay awake all night - to allow my mind to dream and wonder.

Can't wait.

Jack.

You will have a wonderful time Jack, you will be staying not far from us so will defo be getting together!

it is my first time for the anniversary in june as well although I have been to Normandy several times later in the year and we shall be staying at Etreham which is close to Omaha and Gold beach so we may bump into with luck,we should be fairly easy to spot as will be with a group of over 100 allied wartime bikes

Nigel

We are in Etreham as well ford, will look out for you lot

Jack wrote

Can't wait.

Jack.

Agghh a virgin is coming over, you better bring some Pro Plus to keep you going

to much to see so little time we are camping at Carentan by the Marina/Dock

from the 29th May to the 8th June call in for a beer if you are passing

Commander http://www.northstaffsmvt.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

phew what a couple of weeks we have had!!!!!!

We got back last night at about 11.30pm, our ferry was packed with veterans and I had a chat with a few of them. Met a fellow forumite on ferry, sorry cant remember who you were! The cubelets were hyper and I had just spent 6 hours walking around the flippin ferry, up and down in the lifts, walking to the front of the ferry then to the back again, stalking Eddie Izzard who was on the ferry as well! Then buying the biggest tubes of maltesers you have ever seen for the cublets to try and shut them up (it didnt work!) THEN about an hour left of the sailing they both said to me- mummy I am tired I need a lie down now!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Bumped into Joris, Mrs Joris and baby Joris at Longues Sur Mere, baby Joris is sooooo gorgeous!!!!!! Tried to find time to pop into see you Jack but ran out-sorry mate!

There were 11 adults and 2 children in our encampment and we had a wail of a time (managed to get told off by the neighbouring camp for enjoying ourselves too much!)

The Aussies arrived on Wednesday 3rd, 15 vehicles in all-shipped from Australia to Istanbul then they drove all the way to Normandy and I think they are going to Denmark next (nicked a pair of trainers from one of them- they are Roos and they are camouflage with sparkly bits! In exchange I did gave her my worn several times MVT tee shirt!!!!!!!!!) Did meet a fellow forumite from Oz but for the life of me I cant remember his forum name now!!!!!!! But he made the youngest cubelet jump at Point Du Hoc!!!!!!! You know who you are!

At one stage we had 3 french guys staying next to us, we offered them a beer as they looked like they needed one on their arrival, well they seemed to think we needed one of their drinks and poured this brandy looking substance into our cups, well God knows what it was but I was absolutely ratted immediately and it took about 2 hours for the effects to wear off! We only had 2 small (and I mean small) measures of it but by God it was strong! They tried to tell us it was 40% but I recon it got lost in translation and it was more like 80%, apparently it was made from prunes!!!!!!!! They told us in pigeon English thet 2 of them were doing a parachute jump on the 7th (one of them turned 60 on June 1st!)

The first week we just bimbled about, visiting various sights and places and after the rest of our friends arrived did a lot more sightseeing and joined in with a couple of the MVT convoys out.

We got up at 4am on the 6th and convoyed out of our camp site at 5, got to Asnelles for 6am. Then we drove back along (the road) to Arromanches found a nice cafe for sticky cakes and strong coffee! Then back to Asnelles to re group, then the vehicles drove along the beach back to Arromanches (if anyone has video clips/photos of this could you let me know please) met up with Tootallmike, Grasshopper (Mrs GH) and David Ives plus some other people not seen for ages, it took a long time to get back to campsite due to road blocks etc, so long in fact me and the cubelets feel asleep in the back of the jimmy (and I was sober as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

On 7th we went to Pegasus Bridge, where it rained very hard! But we went in the museum and walked along the original bridge, the museum is brilliant and very interesting.

I took my dad along with us and he has just gone home with the biggest smile on his face ever.

If I have missed anyone off who we met over there I am sorry. And if this doesnt make sense its because I am soooooo very tired and still have a ton of washing to do!